Friday, December 30, 2011

Breadmaking 101

The aroma of freshly baking bread you crafted with love and time waifing through your home, the warm melt-in-your-mouth buttered roll filling your families tummy's,...there is not much better in life!

I began making bread years ago. I read about it and tried it. I was pleased with my results overall. I continued my baking on and off until a few years back, when I began baking breads much more often. I studied more, and thought I had done pretty good improving.  Little did I know! Then I watched a video with The West Ladies. I thought it was pretty stuff I knew as I knew the way to bake breads (pride before...), but I gleaned so much from the simplicity of their teaching and technique (...the fall!). It was the beginning of my skills really improving to a much better end product. I gleaned from lots of other sources also, but their talent of making it homey and not just scientific was a blessing.  Now years later, I am still improving my ability,  but have been able to provide my family and friends with lots of yummy bread.

I am going to share some things I have learned below. (I do recommend that you try to get the West Ladies dvd. They have a series on dvd on many wonderful homespun creations.)

1) No bread machine is ever needed. I've never used one.

2) You don't have to kneed. You can kneed it a few times in the bowl, or just jostle it with the mixing spoon or fork and you get wonderful bread!

3) Rolls are easier for little hands to manage and leave fewer crumbs.  I make a pan of them to munch on.

4) You can put your dough in the fridge and use it for about a week. Pull out what you need when you need it and then you have freshly baked bread with little hassle.

5) You don't have to panic if you miss the rise of the bread. It will re-rise. Over and over! In fact, we have found that it gives it deeper flavor this way. I try to deflate it myself if I won't be getting to it for a while, but if you are out and can't get to it, no worries. (to note: don't leave dough with egg out...)

6) If you are in a hurry....turn on your oven for a few min, to get it warmed. Turn it off and place your bread in there to rise. Turning on the light to the oven helps to add warmth also. Add extra yeast if you are in a big hurry and it will rise quickly.

7) I butter the tops of my bread when they are hot out of the oven. It makes them glisten and softer.

8) Fresh bread molds much faster than store bought! Don't bake 6 loaves and think they will last two weeks on the counter. No preservatives!

Happy Bread Making and Baking!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, this post is making me HUNGRY!! ;)
    - April

    ReplyDelete