Friday, December 30, 2011

Little Home, Little Housekeeping, Little Posessions

So after our move from 2400 to 1000 sq feet with 4 kids  and two indoor dogs, I found a beautiful thing. My little home requires much less housekeeping time! I can mop, sweep, and clean all needed things in a matter of an hour, not hours! It is great! One potty to clean...that is a good thing. It does require a bit of tidy keeping, but that is true in any home.

When we moved we sold, donated, or just got rid of probably over half of our possessions. All that we owned (aside from our appliances & one bed) basically fit into a little storage pod...like the pack rat or pod. ONE of them for our move was all we had. That was a big, big ,big downsize. We move a lot so I am constantly thinning out, but this one was the biggie. I had to decide what was important. What I wanted and what we needed. (TO NOTE: I am not a minimalist. I like my home to be cozy, warm, and welcoming. I like pretty things, unique things, and totally un-purposeful things.In fact, I think those things are needful for our hearts and minds!)  I had to let go of a lot of things I had paid a pretty penny for. But in the end it had worked out beautifully. Our home is unique, eclectic, and we love it. In fact we really like it more that the decor in all of the new(er) and bigger homes we lived in. Simplicity. It is a beautiful thing!

1 comment:

  1. I loooove the idea of downsizing our STUFF. I'm thinking I may do another overhaul of the house and head to Goodwill soon...this will be #3!
    - April

    ReplyDelete