Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lasagna

I have been making lasagna for many years. Last week I made a "boat load" of it (lol!). I made enough for maybe for about 25  people. I enjoy it because it is quick and easy. Lots of folks like it so here is how I do it as per my BFF request! I might make this for Wednesday night soon, that would be enough for like 50 or so people. I've never made that much at once!

Below is my general recipe, I don't measure so these are my guesses. Now let me say this...I made some week before last that was not so good. I did not precook the sauce long enough (and I used a generic bland one) and then I did not cook it quickly in the oven (I waited because we ran out). The results were not delicious (we did eat it, but I was disappointed! Thankfully we had no company that night!) This week I did it the better way and it was so delicious.

You need:
1 onion
Ground Beef (1 lb is more than enough)
Sauce (two jars, or three cans. Classico brand rocks,And the ones in a tin can are good too. Get diff flavors if you can... Onion & Garlic, and 4 Cheese are my favorites. Don't use a "traditional" or "meat" flavor if you can help it. They are b-l-a-n-d)
Lasagna Noodles (does not matter brand/type~ 1 box)
1 small ricotta
1 small cottage cheese
1 bag mozzarella (I also like to use a 5 cheese blend in addition to mozzarella, but you don't have to)
Parmesan (does not matter what kind, just need a few table spoons or you can leave it out)
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt, Seasoning Salt, Whatever else you like to season with

A pan, 9x13 or 8x8..thicker if 8x8, thinner if 9x12...either way good!

Dice the onion, saute it with the ground beef that you season with spices till browned. Add the sauce and 2  cups of water. Simmer covered slowly for at least an hour. This makes a HUGE difference. I did mine for like two or three hours the other day and it was soooooooooo good.

Now, when it is done simmering stir in 1/4 cup water, in a bowl mix your ricotta, Parmesan & cottage cheeses. Add garlic salt and pepper..and don't skimp! If it is TOO thick, add 1/8-1/4 cup of water so you can spread it with ease when layering.

So now, get your pan. Put about 1/4 of your sauce on the bottom. Then layer noodles across it, covering the whole bottom of the pan. Next, spread a layer of the cheese mixture on the noodles. Then sprinkle some mozzarella on it. Then top with another nice hearty layer of sauce. Repeat twice, just remember to change the way the noodles are going...go long ways one time, short ways the next. This keeps it from falling apart when you serve itYou should end up with three noodle layers, two with ricotta mixture on them. If you have more, then don't worry, it will be yummy still!!

When you top the final layer with sauce, make sure it is ALL covered well or you will get dry, yuck noodles. Add a bit of water if needed. Put into your 350 oven after you cover it with tin foil.

Wait for 45-60 min. Take the foil off. Is it bubbly? If so, then it is done. Take foil off and top with some mozzarella cheese and put in oven for about 5 more min.

Take it out and let it cool for at least 10-15 min. This is super important for it to hold its shape.

Then eat it.

This freezes well, very well. Just wrap in foil and then put into baggie in the freezer. Super handy for a quick meal later in the month. This is also fabulous as a leftover.

1 comment: