Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kids Cooking...

My kids have always helped me to cook. Some days I have to pass on their help, but theydo frequently help me to stir, mash, strain, or open. It is part of our simple life mentality...to teach skills needed to be self-sufficient to our little ones, so they can provide for themselves and their family, no matter the income limitations. Some have more interest in cooking than others.

My son has been asking to cook more. He was a little bored by only being able to cook Mac and Cheese and Pasta. So I gave them some cooking lessons, as a group..like when I was in 4H! We did beef veggie soup and a roast.

Then today I got the blessing and joy of seeing him make our meal for dinner....a roast with all the trimmings. It is such an elegant and easy meal, I thought it would be good for him to do. He was proud by the time he got it in the oven. I sat in the kitchen and oversaw the preparation, talking him thru it. It will be just wonderful to sit down tonight and enjoy our first ever whole meal provided by my almost 12 year old!

Here is what we prepared in case you ever want to try this one pan wonder..this is for older kids who can safely use a kitchen knife.

Roast
Seasoning Salt
Garlic Salt
Pepper Grinders
Carrots
Celery
Potatoes
Onion

He cut his veggies up into fork sized pieces, added the roast to the pan & seasoned it, added the veggies all around, and popped it into the oven at 325. I later turned it down (it was a frozen roast) as we put it in just after lunch. Slow and low will make almost all meat taste yumm! I will have him take the foil off about 30 min before it is done so it can get a bit of a crust on the top of it (we like that).

A whole meal of meat, veggies, and starch in just one pan!

1 comment:

  1. That so totally rocks!! Tell Daniel can come over and cook for me anytime he wants to girl, lol! ;)
    - April

    ReplyDelete