Sunday, January 8, 2012

Things To Donate To A Food Pantry

I have been drawn to helping those who hunger for many years. I am not sure why really except the Lord has laid it on my heart. It is such a wonderful thing to help those who need it, when you are able to.

When I was 18-19 years of age  I volunteered at a shelter/food pantry/assistance ministry. It was so awesome. Homeless were housed, hungry were fed, people without the means to pay for heat were warmed. Now with a family with younger kids, I have not gone into shelters and worked. That season will hopefully come back around when my children are older and can go with me.

 But, I have had the honor and greatest privilege of helping with food in other ways over my mommy years. I have found that these are some of the better  things to give if you can to a food closet or pantry. (I am referring to small pantry's, with no or limited refrigeration)

1) Complete Pancake Mix (NOT Bisquick...it requires eggs and milk, something the recipient might not have)
2) Syrup
3) Powdered Milk
4)Tuna Helper (not hamburger helper. That's like giving them a $1.50 item and leaving the $3 of beef for them to buy! Not cool!)
5) Tuna
6) Dried Fruits like raisins
7)Oil
8) Canned Vegetables
9) Dried Pasta
10) Spaghetti Sauce
11) Canned or dried beans
12) Peanut butter
13) Jelly
14) Complete Meal Kits
15) Rice
16) Instant Oatmeal and Grits and Cereal
17) Pepperoni & precooked Baccon (because it does not have to be refrigerated)
18) Pizza Crust Mix
19) Applesauce
20)Dish Soap

In areas where they can accept refrigerated and frozen items, I urge you to buy milk & meats when you can. Cheeses are great also, as they last.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the list Cathy...I'm saving it for the future when hopefully we can start doing this. I love the idea of helping people who aren't as blessed as we are...
    - April

    ReplyDelete