Friday, January 27, 2012

Observations on Not Eating Out & New Goal

So as our years of attempting to live more simply pass by, I am always needing to evaluate. When we added the no eating out, I have noticed these things:
1- We spend more time at home
2- I bake more than usual
3-I think we have less food that goes bad
4- I have to prethink what we will eat. Use to if I did not "prethink" dinner, we could just run and get take out, but since that is off the table, I am managing our home more.
5-Budgeting is way easier. I buy groceries and won't end up with ($75 or whatever) in eating out expenditures I had not planned for. Plus company is less expensive as I used to get take out for that at times.
6- The kids have realllly adjusted. They are eating what we have!

The hardest thing..
DISHES!!! We have no dishwasher. We have 5 people that eat three meals in house each day, and my hubby takes his lunch so we have those dishes when he gets home. And when you cook a lot, you have a lot of dishes. I think I did 5 "loads" yesterday. So.............. I have to admit that I went to paper plates for some meals to help with that. I was thinking on that today. I am not sure that is the best idea. It just seems so much nicer to eat on a pretty plate!

So for our new goals we are considering the following:

1) No premade foods (admittedly this is not super hard as almost all of our meals I make from scratch and I bake our bread and snacks often, but I do think it would be a challenge)
2) No Wal-Mart, No Target, No K-Mart (not overly hard because we don't frequent there anyway, we are BIG believers in supporting small local business and this would force us to look for things in other areas, AND it would require we preplan things...mom and pop stores are not open on Saturday nights at 7 when I need something!

1 comment:

  1. Wow that's alot of dishes girl!! It sounds like you're handling this challenge really well...I'm in awe!
    - April

    ReplyDelete